Monday, July 4, 2016

Facebook: June 23, 2016


By now there are a few that know and a lot who are wondering, so it's time that I filled you all in. Last Wednesday I went to the emergency room at Northside hospital in a lot of pain and was admitted. Throughout the week I've been having tests done and been given a lot of answers.

I'm not the kind of person who likes to air her personal things online, so I've avoided this until now, but it's become too difficult to keep telling this story, so I thank you all for the love and concern. I feel it no matter the distance or time between us. 

There's no easy way to say this, so I'm just going to blurt it out. The long and short of it is that I have stage 4 colon cancer. I'm going to start chemotherapy very soon and I have a very positive outlook. I have the best doctors and the most incredible family and friends. There is no doubt in my mind that I will beat this, but it's going to take a lot of energy and time. I know I'm surrounded by amazing, loving, strong, people and I draw my strength from that knowledge every moment that I fight this thing.

 Please be patient with me because I may not be able to answer every text, phone call, message, or post, but I see them all and I feel your love and encouragement. I'll do my best to keep up communication. Soon I'm going to attempt to write a blog so I can keep you abreast of what's going on, but it may get difficult to do so. I'll let you know when that happens. Thank you again. 

Sending you all love and light. 

Naomi
____________________

This was how I made my situation known. It's definitely one of the hardest things I've ever written. I shed tears over doing it, for several reasons.

1. I had to share my vulnerability.

I like to portray myself as strong, independent, and fun. I honestly feel that I am. But this was admitting that I wasn't going to be that way for a while.

2. I don't like to publicize my personal life.

I was going against my personal rules of privacy. I'm not used to being so serious in front of a large audience.

3. I was scared.

Putting this in writing meant that it was real. I had to accept that my realty was never going to be the same again. Not only that, I had to admit it to everyone. This was the most difficult one, more than any other reason. For the raw and stinging truth that held itself bare to me.

Incredibly, the outpouring of love and support was so breathtaking that my fearful tears turned into tears of relief and strength. Every post, every picture that someone wrote gave me reserves to fight longer and harder, every message, every phone call made me feel like I had enough to fight this fight. The simple truth of love, friendship, and family gives me unlimited artillery to this day. And for this, I am eternally grateful. 



4 comments:

  1. Your vulnerability doesn't touch your strength. Your fear doesn't compare with your courage. Keep writing, fighting, and loving life. We love you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you so much. You are an inspiration to me, and you always have been. xo Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you so much. You are an inspiration to me, and you always have been. xo Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the silly picture. You crack me up! I REALLY love the footnotes. Wow. Sorry you are having to go through this sweet girl. You'll be back to your old self in no time. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete